I was just looking out the boys bedroom window. I like to open it wide and observe the outside late at night. I like to watch and listen. I've seen some weird things at night. Teens making out and smoking in the park across the street. An attempted car burglary. Spouses arguing. Not that I live in a bad neighborhood or anything, it's just that those things stand out. And it's not because I'm a voyeur. I'm doing it for the safety of my culdesac and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Tonight it's calm. You can see the stars amongst a few pillowy clouds. Up in the sky tonight I saw a submarine, shark and a turtle, they were floating northeast. It appeared the sub was in the lead. I also heard the trains from the tide flats of Tacoma. I LOVE the faint sound of a train whistle. It reminds me of 1) as a kid, lying in bed at night and listening to the sound of the trains rise up from the Kent valley and 2) when I lived alone in Tacoma, I'd lock myself in my room. I'd hear every peep in that house, and the trains from Tacoma.
When I have the kids with me and I hear a train, we stop and listen. If we drive by a moving train or are stopped at the train tracks, down go the windows...and we listen, to the metal wheels spinning on the tracks and if we are lucky, a loud whistle. I'm weird that way.
*************
As I may have shared, I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look, I'm working on a Yesterday and Today album about ME through Big Picture classes from Ali Edwards. Something I KNOW I've shared, is my love for Ali. She inspires me every day! After my last birthday I also shared my list of "45 things to do before I turn 45", one of which was to create my story, an album about me. So when Ali shared this class, I thought it would be perfect. I'm on week 5, which focuses on sharing facts and information about me. I think the train qualifies for a good fact, don't you?
And here's another factoid about ME. While working on week 4, I pulled six childhood memories to document. In the process of looking through old photos I realized something else about me. Smell. Nearly every picture from my childhood I can relate a smell too. I find it funny as my dad always teases me about my sensitive nose. When I was younger I did not like it when he cooked anything stinky in the house. I did not want my clothes or hair to smell like fried bacon and eggs or tacos. He even bought an electric burner so he could cook his menudo and tripe (the inner lining of a pig's stomach) outside. Even now, I love certain smells (good and bad) as they stir memories from my past.
**************
Lying next to me is my sweet Sofikarina. She's twisting and squirming as she sleeps. Poor baby has an earache. I hate those. It's always the debate, do you get antibiotics or dose her with aspirin/ibuprofen and hope she gets over it. I've done the latter for tonight, added a heating pad and am keeping her close. When my babies are sick, they get to sleep with me. I need to hear every sound, sniffle, cough and ache when they sleep, to make sure they are okay. I'm weird that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment