Saturday, September 3, 2011

JH

Sofia, Alex and I ventured out to buy some new school shoes at Macy's tonight.  I was hoping I could spend some time buying me something with the $50 GC my lovely B got me for my birthday.  In true male fashion, Alex got his new converse and then there was the drag, as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders....dragging around Macy's....."can we go home now?"  "I'm done shopping, can we go home?".

And then the phone rang.

Irritated to be bothered on my once in a blue moon outing, I picked up.  Good thing.  My sweet JH was playing outside and fell backward and hit his head on the cement.

Shopping ended immediately and I raced home, maybe a few California stops and a bit in excessive of the speed limit, but I have the sense, and I'm sure I'm wrong, that only I can figure out how to tend to my babies.

On the couch, with ice pack, nurse mama evaluated the situation.  Small abrasion.  Slight swelling.  A quick login to Group Health online, and a call to the nurse.  As much as I don't want to take any chances with a head injury, I cringe when I hear the nurse say, "it would be best to see him in urgent care, can you bring him in?"  And so I did.  Departing the house at 8:30...

I dislike urgent care.

Check-in.  Wait.
JH falls asleep.
Triage.  Wait.
JH falls asleep.
Room for check-up by physician.  Wait.
JH falls asleep.
Radiology for x-rays.  Wait.
JH falls asleep.  (40 minutes, I finally had a fit with the receptionist, hmmm, in within 7 minutes post fit, and there was someone ahead of me/JH.  Hmmm.)


11:10 leave.  Diagnosis.  Concussion.

11:15 stop at 7-11 for cherry slurpee and chocolate donut.

11:30 we are home.

12:06 am I'm typing this with a handsome JH in my bed.  I warned him, every 2 hours I'll be shaking him up asking, "where are we and what is my name".  He's prepared.  I'm not.

Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment